It's a party, and everyone is invited! Everyone around the globe is encouraged to participate in "Moving Planet Day," which is held on September 24, 2011. The primary goal is spearheading a worldwide rally to demand solutions to the climate crisis.
Bill McKibben, the founder of 350.org, the international climate campaign that is coordinating the demonstrations, says, "This is the day when people will get the earth moving, rolling towards the solutions we need."
Moving Planet events will include:
- In the Dominican Republic, students will paint the country's first bike lane in Santo Domingo.
- In Brazil, thousands of cyclists will take to the streets of São Paulo to call for sustainable transportation solutions.
- In India, thousands of people gathered in Andhra Pradesh for a public meeting on the impact of coal pollution in the region.
- In Indonesia, cyclists will bike 350 hours from Bali to Bandung for a clean energy rally. In Italy, hundreds of cyclists will take to the busy streets of Milan to draw attention to local pollution and traffic congestion.
- In Ukraine, hundreds are expected to join a "flash-dance" in Kiev's main square
- In Egypt, hundreds of people will parade in blue clothing to create a human Nile river, drawing attention to the importance of protecting precious water resources.
- In South Africa, thousands will join a parade in Cape Town to call on the South African government to support bold climate action at this November's UN Climate Talks in Durban.
September 24 will demonstrate the power of change through the people. Moving Planet's goal is to show government officials that in every country that people are demanding an end to the fossil-fuel economy and an immediate transition to clean energy solutions.
What can you do?
The whole point of this day is movement. Get mobile and travel via your bike, skateboard, running, etc. Create signs and flyers and put a campaign together. Tell your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and everyone you see. We need to start spreading the word and building momentum so that we can get the climate ball rolling.
You're invited. So join us to preserve what is most precious to us all - a clean and healthy planet.
Save the date! September 24, 2011. Click here to find an event near you. See you there!