The Green Blog
Are You Sure Your House is a Safety Zone?
Pink Goes Green Welcomes guest blogger Charlotte Meier of, who gives us some great tips on keeping our homes safe and green! The home is usually considered our safety zone. It's where we feel most comfortable and protected. What's hard to believe, however, is that sometimes our homes aren't as safe as we would like to believe. You should greatly consider having an inspection done to assess any possible dangers. A myriad of underlying health hazards could be issues in your home right now. Here are a handful of potential issues homeowners face and how to best tackle them.
Allergens Did you know that allergens don't just come from outside sources? Dust mites are a huge cause of asthma and allergy issues in the home, and these microscopic creatures live everywhere. Wash sheets and pillowcases weekly in hot water to get rid of dust mites. Use a HEPA-filtered vacuum weekly on your carpet, furniture and curtains to suck up the dust around your house. If you have severe allergies, consider using special mattress and pillow covers.
MoldIf left untreated, mold and mildew growth in your home can lead to serious health problems, in addition to causing damage to your house. If you see mold collecting in your home, determine what is causing the mold and immediately fix the problem yourself or seek professional help. If your mold problem is something you can handle yourself, be sure to throw out whatever isn't salvageable and thoroughly clean anything that is. When properly treated, mold can be eliminated easily and quickly.
Chemicals It's getting harder to escape chemicals; they are everywhere. But you do have control over the chemicals you bring into your home, and the ones you use to clean. Look through the variety of chemicals you keep in your home to determine what you should dispose of and how to dispose of them. For cleaning products, there are many resources with recipes for creating your own cleaners at home, and often at a fraction of the price you pay in the store.
Lead Paint/Asbestos There is a lot of charm associated with an older home, but keep in mind that most homes built before 1978 will have lead and/or asbestos. If the paint in your home is newer or isn't showing signs of wear, then it's probably covering up any older paint and shouldn't be cause for concern.

But if you have peeling paint that is suspect, it's best to use specific cleanup practices or hire a professional. The same applies to asbestos, which is found in many household materials. If areas that could contain asbestos are showing wear or exposure, it's imperative that you have a professional determine clean up/removal.
Other Miscellaneous Safety Concerns - Household Batteries: Small batteries can easily be ingested by young children, which can lead to organ failure and death. All batteries should be kept up and out of the reach of small children.

- Carbon Monoxide Detector: Carbon Monoxide is a silent but deadly gas. If you have any sort of indoor fuel-burning appliance, and/or you have a fireplace, it is a safety essential to install a carbon monoxide detector.

- Medications: All medications should be kept up and out of the reach of small children. If you have narcotic medications, those should be kept in a locked box or safe. Should your medications expire, look for community drop-off events or other options to safely discard your old prescriptions.

- Generators, Charcoal Grills: With winter nearing, power outages are inevitable in certain parts of the country. Do not be tempted to bring into your house or garage any sort of portable generator or charcoal grill to use as a heat source. Inhalation of gas and smoke from these can be fatal, in addition to them being fire safety hazards.

Photo by photo-graphe via Pixabay